Lewisham East is a great place to live – I chose to make my home here and haven’t looked back since.
As a former councillor and now as an MP, I work with many of the people who make our community what it is – the Phoenix Housing Board, the Friends & Users of Staplehurst Road Shops, the Heathside & Lethbridge Tenants’ Association, the civic amenity societies in Blackheath, Lee and Culverley Green, the Southend Village Action Group and the Friends & Users of Grove Park Nature Reserve – I could go on! I share the desire of these groups to improve the place we all call home and I am very proud to represent our community in Parliament.
Life in Lewisham East is relatively comfortable for some but for many others, things aren’t so great. As your MP in Lewisham East, I am prioritising the following areas of work:
1) Defend local health services and will work with hospital staff, GPs and the council to improve the quality and integration of care.
2) Work with Lewisham Council, housing associations and developers to deliver more genuinely affordable homes.
3) Campaign across London for the Living Wage in order to make work pay and help tackle the cost of living crisis.
4) Lobby Education Ministers to make sure Lewisham gets a fair deal on school funding - every child should be able to go to an excellent, local school.
5) Push Southeastern, Network Rail and the Department of Transport for longer rush hour trains and campaign for the extension of the Bakerloo Line to Lewisham and Catford.